While blackjack may still be the more popular table game in any casino, there’s still plenty of worth in learning how to play baccarat.
It’s a game with weighted odds, as always, and the house does have a slight edge – again, as always – but it’s incredible fun once you get into the swing of things.
Once more, it’s extremely easy to learn how you play. It can take time to learn how to win, but practice always makes perfect – and we’re here to point you in the right direction.
Baccarat How to Play
If you’ve looked at baccarat how to play guides before and have come away a little confused, it’s time we helped to water things down a little.
The most important thing to remember in this card game is that there are two bets and three outcomes:
- The player bet and the banker bet
- Player wins, banker wins, both tie
Therefore, the nice little twist in play here means you can bet directly on the house representative. This means that they’re not necessarily going to have the upper hand on you from play to play.
You’ll need to choose a bet, however, before cards can be dealt – meaning that you are effectively placing your eggs in one of two baskets.
How to Play Baccarat and Win
If you’re interested in how to play baccarat and win regularly, it’s a good idea to get acquainted with how cards are dealt and what’s to be expected of you in-play.
- Firstly, your banker will use a ‘shoe’ to slide out one card to the player, and then one card to themselves – both face up – before doing the same with a second pair of cards. This is known as the first round.
- The value of cards dealt will then be announced. Bear in mind that all cards up to 9 will be valued on their face amount – and 10s, Jacks, Queens and Kings will be worth 0.
- The value is calculated by either the total if it is less than 10, or the second digit in the total if more than 10 (for example, your value is 5 if your total is 15).
- The winner of the round is the party who has scored a value closest to 9. For example, if you score a value of 4, and the banker/dealer scores 7, they will win the bet.
- Natural-baccarat occurs when either the player or the banker scores 8 or 9. All bets are then cashed.
- You can choose to ‘hit’ if you score between 0 and 5 in your first round. This will offer you a third card to add to your total, unless the banker has natural-baccarat.
It’s as simple as that to learn baccarat. What’s worth remembering is that the third card ‘hit’ can be something of a risk, and it is naturally something you are likely to do if you are betting on the banker.
The banker, however, can score a third card based on various circumstances. For example, if they have a low value and the player’s third card is high or of no value.
Once you’ve learned, make sure to head over to some baccarat sites and start online.
Baccarat rules can vary from casino to casino. There are various different ways to play the game, though anyone learning the rules of the game should of course stick with the basic system detailed here and take minimal risks.
A great way to practice is to get into online games and to try your luck in live casinos. The more daring players may even try card counting.
How to Win at Baccarat
Every deal will be different – and as such, you are going to need to value each set of circumstances as they arise. Why not practice at home?
Learn to Play Baccarat
If you’re aiming to learn to play baccarat and to eventually master it, we hope our guide has been a good stepping stone in your journey.
You can count cards in baccarat and employ a variety of different strategies to really turn the tables – but remember, you’re never, ever guaranteed to win!