Roulette may be one of the most popular games at any casino, but knowing how to play roulette is a different matter entirely. Not only will you want to know the basic rules, but you should also find out about different roulette strategies.
To some, it may seem that it is simply a case of betting on which numbers are likely to come up – but it’s actually a little more involved than that!
In this guide, we will look at the very basics of the standard game, as well as ways in which players can expect to win from game to game and from play to play.
It is a fantastic little game with plenty of variable probabilities and markets – and we’re here to break them down a little for you.
How Roulette Works
Roulette is a quick game, but one which can really draw you in. Here’s what to expect the first time you play:
- The game is based around a central wheel which is numbered from 0 to 36. There are an even number of black and red numbers, and 0 is marked as green.
- Your betting table is split into various sections, and we will cover these in a little more detail shortly.
- The dealer will ask you to place your bets on where you think the ball within the wheel will land after a spin. It’s now your chance to place your bets on the table until the dealer asks for them to close. You generally won’t have long to decide in a real casino setting!
- Once bets are closed, the wheel will spin and the outcome will be declared. If you win, you will be offered your relevant winning chips. If you lose, the dealer takes your chips.
- Betting then begins again!
These are the very basics of the game – let’s take a look at some of the roulette bets.
The Game of Roulette
The game of roulette revolves around the different bets you can place. These bets can include:
- Straight up– where you choose one or more numbers you think the ball will land on. The roulette odds of this are around 35 to 1.
- Split– where you place your chip between two numbers.
- The street bet – where you place your bets on a run of three numbers.
- The corner or square bet – where you place your bet on a square or a corner of four numbers.
- The five-number or beast bet – exclusive to double-0 wheels in the US, this involves winning numbers of 0, 00, 1, 2 or 3.
- Line– where you place bets on the outside edge of six numbers.
- Column – where you bet on an entire column of numbers where you think the winning number will reside.
- The dozens – where you pick the 12t 12 set of numbers, the 2nd 12 or the 3rd
- The odds/evens – where you bet on whether the number will be odd or even.
- The high or low – where you place bets on 1-18 or 19-36.
- The red or black – where you – believe it or not – bet on red or black.
You can make use of these bets on various sites online, including Gala Casino Roulette and many more. It is important you have a look at all of the best casino sites to ensure you pick one that is good for you.
Online Roulette Rules
Online roulette rules are not so different from those you may find in your normal casino. As stated, it is an important point to remember that your dealer will open and close bets fairly swiftly – meaning that once ‘no more bets’ is announced, you must cease making any more bets known.
You can make a bet as soon as a marker showing the last winning number is removed from the table.
Find out everything you need to know about the roulette table before you play!
Knowing where to place your chips is important, too. If you are betting on multiple numbers, you will need to place your chips on the relevant cross-section – otherwise, you may find yourself betting on numbers you never meant to!
It is also a good idea to watch how others play.
When you are ready to play yourself, you might find these pages interesting:
How to Win at Roulette
If you are interested in how to win at roulette – it is important that you understand how to play roulette at its most basic level.
From here, it can be a game of chance – but knowing the odds, the markets and what’s likely to come up and offer you a good return will all come with practice and genuine play. Why not go online and try a few free games to get started?
Other Roulette Sites to Play
Check out some more Roulette brands and offers below.
- Best Live Roulette Online UK
- Best Roulette Sites
- Bet365 Quantum Roulette Game
- Betfair Roulette Latest Welcome Bonus
- Betway Roulette Latest Promotional Code
- Coral Online Roulette Bonus Codes
- Dunder Roulette Best Welcome Bonus
- Free Online Roulette
- Gala Roulette Latest Promo Code
- Ladbrokes Roulette Latest Promo Code
- Mansion Roulette Bonus Codes
- Mr Green Roulette Latest Bonus Code
- New Roulette Sites
- Online Roulette Sites
- William Hill Online Roulette Best Promo Code
- Winner Roulette Sister Sites
- 32Red Roulette Best Bonus Codes
- 888 Roulette Latest Promotions