Blackjack is one of the most beloved and best-known casino games on the planet. Knowing how to play blackjack to your advantage is something which can take years of practice.
The basic rules are, however, very simple. Whether you’re learning to play online blackjack, cards at home or in a Vegas setting, here’s our quick guide on what you can expect from game to game.
How to Play 21
Blackjack – otherwise known as 21, or pontoon – is a simple game which normally involves two participants. One is you – the player, while the other is the dealer, or banker.
It can be hard to know when to hit or stay, but we can help.
Essentially, as with all casino games, the house does have a slight advantage. Knowing the rules of 21 at its most base level is crucial before you start looking at more intricate plays and side bets. Find out more about the bets here.
What are the Rules of Blackjack?
There are various places you can play this game, including at Gala black jack casino online or in actual casinos, but before you play you will need to know what to do.
So, what are the rules of blackjack?
- The aim of the game is to make a total of 21, or as close as possible.
- Aces are high, meaning that they are worth 11. This can change to 1, however, if you choose to draw again.
- The best hand – a blackjack – you can be dealt in the game is a 10 and an Ace. There are some side bets where you can win big on a blackjack.
- All other cards are of their face value.
- The dealer will lay down two cards to you, and two cards to themselves. One will face up, the other down.
- You’ll need to decide whether to hit, stand, split or double down.
- The dealer plays second and will always need to hit, or draw another card, if their score is 16 or less.
- You win if your hand is higher than the dealer’s, or if you’re still in after a dealer busts.
- You go bust if you score more than 21, or if the dealer’s score beats yours.
Learn to Play Blackjack
The first thing to do if you’d like to learn to play 21 is to get acquainted with the terms of the game.
- Hit: You draw another card if your total is low.
- Stand: You allow the dealer to play if you are close to 21.
- Split: If you have two equal cards, you can split into two hands and double your bet.
- Double Down: Double your bet and draw another card.
How to Play Black Jack in a Casino
Knowing how blackjack works in a casino doesn’t differ too much from playing at home.
Using certain black jack strategies such as card counting may be difficult in a casino format as it’s frowned upon and often difficult to carry off thanks to various distractions.
If you enjoy playing black jack, you might also want to have a look at these pages:
- Free online black jack games
- Best black jack websites
- New sites that offer blackjack
- Live black jack sites
How to Play 21 at Home UK
Looking for information on how you can play at home UK casinos and elsewhere? Simply choose your game, place your initial bet and you’ll be offered the choice to stand, to hit, or to split or double down if options arise.
The benefit of online games lies in the fact that you are given some hints every now and again.
How to Play for Beginners
Looking for help for beginners? Go for the basic-play – each game will be different, and before you start counting cards, take each opportunity as a fresh challenge.
Never bet too much right away – as you may wish to split or double down later on. It is important to look at the odds on blackjack before placing bets to ensure you are not wasting money.
How to Play Black Jack in Vegas
Knowing how 21 works in Vegas is a different story altogether! Vegas casinos offer a huge array of twists on big games, meaning that they may put a few of your online standards to shame.
However, it’s worth practising at home or at smaller venues before you head out to Nevada to try your luck. Card counting and other strategies will certainly not go down well here.
How to Play Blackjack and Win
Everyone getting into the game will want to know how to play blackjack and win! Knowing the rules at all is half the battle.
You can count black jack cards to try and get an advantage on the house – but ultimately, you never know which cards are coming next out of that deck. Take advantage of your own luck and read each situation as it arises.